Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

contact us
Greyhound Trust Logo
Registered Charity no: 269668, SCO44047
Fostering and homing greyhounds in the South Lake District, Cumbria

back to HOME page

(now called

Mal arrived on Friday 7th September 2012
Went to his new home on Saturday 20th October 2012

Mal's arrival and a brief history
Click images for a larger view

Black Greyhound
Mal is a 30k black ex-racing greyhound who was born on the 17th August 2008. He has a beautiful face, a white chest and a white tip on his tail. Mas has a very loving nature and adores cuddles and being stroked once he gets to know you. He is house trained, neutered, inoculated and microchipped. He walks nicely on the lead and travels well in the car, but is very nervous at the moment and somewhat wary of of this big new world he's now in. If unsure, Mal will 'bolt' himself to the ground and refuse to move, but a gentle push from behind is often all that is needed to continue on his way.
Mal was initially fostered with another fosterer, who started helping him overcome his nervousness, but after his accident he came here where we could nurse him and help him on his road to recovery, and hopefully continue the good work already started in helping him understand the family way of life.

Mal's Diary
7th September 2012
Mal was collected today from his ex-owner and brought here so we could check his details and take some photos of him for this page. Once completed off he went to his new foster home. We were later told Mal has used the garden a few times for toilet. Getting him in and out of the house is very difficult, and his fosterer has had to either pull him (which she don't like doing ) or get behind him and shove. He sort of bolts himself to the ground - a dead weight. Hopefully he'll improve in a few days. He met Jack and Remy on the street (muzzled) and we all went into house. He was quite sniffy and responsive. Straight out into garden, lots of milling around and the usual grumbles from Remy - 'just to tell you your'e lower than me'. His fosterer has sat with him and given him a good long massage and he relaxed nicely. He doesn't seem to have any sensitive areas he doesn't want people touching which is hopeful. Tonight he's on the couch watching and listening to what's going on.
16th September 2012
Mal is doing much better. Still having to man handle him to get him out for a toilet, but it's not as a difficult. He goes in the crate at night for sleeping but he's with his fosterer during day. He walks nicely on lead and quite enjoys a little skip when he's feeling more confident. He's getting on well with other dogs he's seeing more often and he visits a friend's garden to get use to space, noise and people etc. The train goes past every 25 minutes and he isn't bothered by it. He does pace around a bit at times, but if she ignores him, he eventually settles. Generally he's is showing signs of improvement, but house training is not easy but they will persevere.
Mal has been barking tonight, a couple of times. Not sure why, but it's the first time his fosterer has heard him. It's quite low and deep, really sweet, and she couldn't help but laught. He looked at her as if yo say what was that ? Almost as though he's never heard himself barking. Bless. Hope he copes alright with tomorrow, what with him being so skittish. She's been putting so much time into him she'd hate for him to take 10 steps back. He has such a gentle demenure to him.
17th September 2012
This morning Mal went to the vet for his 1st inoculation and to be neutered. All went well and in the evening he was back with his fosterer sleeping things off. He weighed in at 28.8 kg and he's in good condition with a strong heart. His fosterer had to practically drag him in, poor guy - still, scrambled eggs and lots of loving for later.
19th September 2012

Mal has been quite a nervous dog since his arrival and his fosterer has been experiencing problems getting him through doorways, but in the first two weeks of him being in a home he is beginning to come out of his shell and settle down in situations and environments he is beginning to know.
20th September 2012
Mal was going to come and stay here for the day while his fosterer had to go somewhere, however, an unfortunate incident upon his arrival, which should never have happened, led him to being chased, nipped and knocked around by Marshal, who we believe was protecting Lola, a new female who arrived last night, and whom Mal's fosterer didn't now was here. The garden was water logged, so Marshal was put in the kennel to calm down and a very muddy Mal was brought into the house where we stood him in the bath and gently showered him down so as to see the extent of his injuries. Poor Mal with him being such a quiet, nervous dog to begin with went into shock so off he went to the vets straight away to have the wounds examined and stitched if necessary.
The vets couldn't do a lot when he arrived because he had already been fed before coming here so he was sedated to relax him and they gave him a good examination and treated the injuries under anaesthetic as soon as they could. The vets kept him in overnight on a drip and monitored his progress saying they would ring tomorrow after they'd had the chance to check him over again.
21st September 2012
Mal had a good night in the vets, and was taken off the drip this
Click images for a larger view

Black Greyhound
In our garden
7th September 2012

Black Greyhound
. . . and again.

Black Greyhound
. . . and again.

Black Greyhound
Relaxing in his new
foster home
7th September 2012

morning. As promised they phoned during the day with an update on how he was. They said he has a number of places with stitches, one inside his back leg they are worried might break down, so care is needed with that one. He's quite badly bruised and shaken where he was pushed around, and because of his nervous disposition they want to keep him in a warm, quiet and stress free environment to aid his recovery. He's been quite difficult to take out to do his toilet and very reluctant to do anything outside. However, he's eating, and everyone has really taken to him.
The vets phoned this afternoon with an update and asked if Mal could come to us, it was because of our experience they wanted him here. In order to give us time to prepare things properly for him, and the vets to monitor his progress, it was suggested keeping him in overnight again. This gave us time to plan things for his arrival, because after all the incident happened here and with Marshal who is also here.
22nd September 2012
As arranged with the vet Stuart called in this morning to collect Mal, and while he was gone I put up the crate in our bedroom, put a bed inside and covered half of it with a blanket to make a 'cave'.
The vet while giving Stuart Mal's medication and explaining what had been done, which injuries needed watching and how to nurse him a couple came in the vets to look at Mal. Apparently, last night they heard about Mal and wanted to visit him with a view to re-homing him. The lady used to work at the vets and while Stuart was talking to the vet they went in the back where Mal was kennelled to have a look at him. On their way out yhey had a chat with Stuart and said they were about to go on holiday for a couple of weeks, but upon their return they would contact us.
When Stuart arrived home with Mal I shut all the other dogs except Indi in the living room so Mal could come in quietly. Indi greeted him gently and with respect, but he was still a little unsure, Stuart said he had difficulty getting him out of the vets, but he jumped in the back of the car alright. He 'relieved' himself in the garden, his stools were rather dark and not the normal colour, but it may have been the first he's done since the accident and we will watch his future ones and mention it to the vet when he goes in for a check up next week.
In the house he didn't want any food, but he'd probably been fed at the vets earlier, then we put him in the crate where he could lay down and rest in the peace and quiet. Indi stayed with him and lay in the bed by the side of the crate, shortly followed by Sandy who lay in the other. The last thing we want to do is segregate Mal from the others because he needs to know they are okay. All the others including Marshal, now with a muzzle on came in to see him, had a look, then wandered off to their beds.
Mal wouldn't come out of the crate, not even to do his toilet, and at tea time we gave him his dinner in the crate. All the other dogs, having been fed and brought back in the living room we got Mal outside with Indi to do his toilet and stretch his legs. All done, and safely back in the crate again the living room door was opened for the rest of the evening.
It took both Stuart and I to get Mal from the crate and get him in the garden for his last toileting session of the day. All done and back in the crate he settled down for the night.
23rd September 2012
Mal slept well last night, but I awoke to hearing a licking sound, and he was licking a stitch on his shoulder. This he is not allowed to do so a muzzle was placed on him to make him stop and off he went back to sleep. There are some stitches on the inside of his back leg, which the vet hopes will not 'break down' so the last thing we want him to do is lick that, and with it being where it is it's an easy place to lick, so from now on he will be wearing a muzzle all the time other than when he is being fed or supervised.
This morning at 6.30am Mal refused to come from the crate to do his toilet. I know it was early, but we had to get him out so we could start our morning bed and breakfast routine and he wouldn't be able to go out again until the middle of the morning. Mal was not for moving, we couldn't get him to stand and he was determined he was not going to move. In the end Stuart held onto the dog crate while I dragged the dog bed with Mal laying on it out of the crate. No way was he going to stand first thing this morning to go for a wee.  Once out of the crate we got him to his feet and 'pushed' him to the door where he walked the last few steps on his own into the garden to do his toilet. 
We've had no accidents in the house and he's quite happy to hold it and 'empty' when in the garden. 
When it came to feeding them after all the bed and breakfast things were cleared away we fed Marshal and a couple of others first then let them in the garden.  When I opened the gate to let the others into the kitchen to have theirs Mal was on his feet, so I opened the crate door and he came out and joined the others waiting for their food. He mingled with them while waiting for his food, which we were really pleased with and didn't really expect just yet, then he ate his breakfast in the kitchen with Indi, Sandy, Solo and Charlie.  We hadn’t expected him to do that for a few days!  Stuart muzzled Marshal in the garden and took him into the drive, and as I was letting Mal into the garden with the others to do his toilet Stuart was bringing Marshal in through the front door into the living room where they stayed till Mal came back in and was safely in his crate again.  A few minutes later Mal was relaxing in the crate and Marshal dozing in the dog bed that lay next to it.  Not a bad body signal or growl from either of them, and Sandy in the other dog bed where they all lay sleeping for the rest of the morning.
We couldn't get Mal out the crate again in the afternoon to do his toilet, so decided to leave him to rest. At tea time we did the same regime as this morning and then Mal was back to his crate for the evening.
Last toilet before bed time was a little difficult because again he didn't want to leave the crate. In the end he decided to come out, with our help and off he wandered in the garden with Indi to do his toilet and back in again.
24th September 2012
Mal is slowly getting used to our routine, which we are keeping to for his stability. He's still sleeping and staying in the crate all the time, but now and again Sandy, who often sleeps in the bed alongside gives him a low grumble, especially around the time he needs to leave it to go to the toilet. Think he's trying to tell him something!
25th September 2012
Marshal is often sleeping in the bed alongside the crate these days and the odd occasion Mal is wandering around, which is usually feeding times there are no problems with them standing together, so we are going to start leaving the door to the crate open when we are around to supervise, and to encourage Mal to come out and mingle with the others more. Mal out of the crate and Sandy was in like a shot as if he knew what we were doing and was helping. We settled Mal in the dog bed alongside the crate, which he wasn't too sure of to begin with, but then accepted it and went to sleep. As soon as Sandy moved Mal wandered back in the crate and settled down. A little bit of socialisation every now and again is what Mal needs, nice and steady, but a fraction ahead of his pace!
26th September 2012
This morning Mal refused to get up from the crate, and with him going to the vets this morning we decided to leave him till 8.30am when he was due to go. He has a bladder like I don't know what and can hold his toilet for ages. At 8.30am we dragged his bed with him on it from the crate and lifted him onto four legs. When he's frightened or doesn't know what you are doing there is no way he will move - he's a monkey! Once up he was fine and walked out happily where he had a long wee before getting in the car to visit the vet.
The vet was extremely pleased with his progress and said all being well, his stitches can come out after 14 days, but this we will monitor.
27th September 2012
Today we decided we'd had enough of the crate because it was so difficult getting him out, so we folded it up and put it away. In it's place we put an ordinary dog bed, which he will have to get used to. It also means he's around the others and they are around him, which we feel, that at this stage, is important.
Mal's wounds are healing well and because he's been on the Metacam a week we thought not to give him any this morning. That was a mistake because when we gave them a Dentastix later and I was pre-occupied with one of the other dogs I returned to put his muzzle on and found he'd been licking one of the wounds and made it bleed. I must have only been five miutes, but it was enough, so muzzle back on and the wound bathed with diluted Hibiscrub - lesson learn't. From now on when Mal's muzzle is off he takes priority in watching and getting it back on again as soon as we can.
29th September 2012
This morning was the first time Mal has got from his bed on his own and came in the kitchen with the others waiting to go in the garden to do his toilet. We are still doing the toileting in two shifts ensuring Mal is in one and Marshal in the other. Marshal, although okay with Mal in the house still regards him as the weakest of the pack, which you can tell from both their body language, so we can't risk him in the garden, which is large and muddy, of trying to exclude Mal from the pack again.
30th September 2012
This morning Mal discovered our bed and was not for shifting. Stuart had to lift him off to which he jumped straight back on again, to be lifted off again and made to go to his bed.
2nd October 2012
Mal is now wandering round the garden with Marshal and the other dogs, and all is settled and back to normal. When up and about we take his muzzle off, but as soon as he's back in his bed it goes back on to prevent him licking that wound on the inside of his leg.
3rd October 2012
There is a knack to getting Mal to stand up first thing in the morning and last thing at night if he doesn't want to go in the garden to do his toilet. We lift his front end up so his front legs are in a standing position, then we lift his back end up. Standing up we then have to make him move so we move his front legs a couple of steps and using our hand we push his rear end forward. This, along with lots of praise is usually enough to get him moving. He knows what he has to do, but doesn''t want to loose his bed to one of the others. He just hasn't realised yet that first out in the garden is often the first back and into the best bed. Last out is last back and it's a case of you get the bed that's left.
Mal is really coming from his shell now and wanders around the place quite happily, is in the garden with the others and comes and goes as the others do. He's still a bit 'jumpy' if a new noise frightens him, but we just ignore it and he settles. He's also taken to coming to me when I'm sitting at my desk working, asking for a cuddle, and who can ignore those beautiful large and stunning eyes of his.
Mal is often the first in the queue watching me prepare their dinners, is eating well and often doesn't want to go and do his toilet until he's made sure all the other dog bowls are empty. He has a good appetite and has put on some weight recently. He gets any egg or egg white that's not used for cooking the breakfasts and his coat is becoming lovely and shiny - even the hair, which was shaved off at the vets is beginning to grow back.
4th October 2012
I was trying to get Mal from his bed at 6.30am to go to the toilet, but it was dark and he didn't want to follows the others out when Stuart said he stood for him last night quite easily. He suggested trying his way again in case it was a 'one off'. He stood behind Mal who was laying in the soft circular bed with sides and gently tapped his foot a few times against the side of the bed, and up Mal got, had a stretch and walked with me towards the back door and garden. A much easier way than mine!
Mal has been super today and mingling with all the dogs, and when someone comes to the door and the others run out to see who it is, there is Mal amongst them. It's often Mal who is standing by my side as I'm talking to someone wanting his head and ears stroked - he loves that! All quite lovely to see considering how shy and nervous he was when he first arrived.
5th October 2012
This morning Mal was up and in the garden - on his own, wow! The 'penny has dropped' as to what is happening at this time in the morning and what he is suppose to do. He lays in his bed quietly with the others while we are doing the guests their breakfast and when all is cleared away and the gates open he's up with the others looking for his breakfast. Boy, hasn't he a good appetite - he loves his food!
This afternoon I took him to the vet for his second inoculation and to have his stitches removed. He walked out to the car lovely and jumped in. At the vet's there was no way he was getting out, in fact there was no way he was even going to stand up! Announcing my arrival at the vets, and letting them know the patient was here, but refusing to come in, the vet who tended his wounds came to the car and as I lifted him from inside the car the vet lifted him from outside and between us we got him out and stood him on the ground. A gentle push to get him started and he walked inside to the waiting room where we weighed him. He was 29.3k so has gained weight, which is good, but I'm not surprised the amount he's been eating.
In the waiting room he went to say hello to a little black staffie, and they sniffed each other and stood together until the vet called us in. She examined him thoroughly and removed all the stitches including those from when he was neutered. The two wounds she was worried about were healing well and granulating, but she asked if we could put a little Fuciderm around the area of the wound to help things along for a few days and we are going to keep the muzzle on him a little longer to ensure he doesn't lick them and make them 'angry' again. All done, he had his second inoculation, then home again. This time he jumped in the car no problem and jumped out when we arrived home. All the other greyhounds came to sniff him and see what had been done - they seem to know when one has been to the vet, perhaps its the smell!
He had his tea then settled happily for the evening - he seems to like Indi's circular bed with soft sides, and she allows him to sleep there during the day so long as she gets it last thing at night, because that's her bed, and she knows it!
6th October 2012
Mal seems so much happier now his stitches are out, perhaps with having to keep them in for two weeks they were beginning to itch and irritate.
Our guests who were staying in room 1 arrived this afternoon with two dogs and Mal was up the top of the bank with the others saying hello to them. He seems so happy and relaxed now, he and Marshal are good friends, they even eat their meal close to each other, and Mal is always coming to us for cuddles, this lunch time while I was doing one of the guest bedrooms I saw him happily exploring the garden. It was just so nice to see him happy, relaxed and almost well again. He's a gorgeous and adorable lad who we shall miss a great deal when he finds his forever home.
20th October 2012
This lunch time Mal's new owner called to adopt him and once all the paperwork was complete off he went to his new home where he will be a companion for Alfie, an adorable fawn lurcher. Mal is such a lovely lad and we wish him a long and happy life with his new family.
31st October 2012
We heard today that Mal's new owners have changed his name to Mo, and he is settling in well. He's quite comfortable inside the house, but still a little wary on his walks, and not too sure of cyclists. However, with patience and time he will become used to his new environment learn to enjoy the companionship of his new family.

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott