Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

contact us
Greyhound Trust Logo
Registered Charity no: 269668, SCO44047
Fostering and homing greyhounds in the South Lake District, Cumbria

back to HOME page


Taylor arrived on Wednesday 10th October 2012
Went to his new home on Wednesday 26th December 2012.

Taylor's arrival and a brief history
Click images for a larger view

Taylor is a black ex-racing greyhound who was born on the 8th July 2005 and weighs 31.7k. He is neutered, flead, wormed and inoculated. Taylor travels well in the car and we are beginning to show him how enjoyable it is to be stroked and given affection. Something, which from his behaviour may have been lacking in the past. On the 9th November 2012 Taylor went to Pauline and Colin who fostered him until he found his forever home in December 2012.

Taylor's Diary

10th October 2012
Pat, one of our branch volunteers collected two greyhounds today from their owner and brought them here. One was Taylor while the other was Alison. Upon their arrival we put them in the emergency kennel where they were flead, wormed and fed, which is our normal practice.
Taylor was very nervous and unsure of his environment and constantly cocked his leg on the walls of the area around the kennel. Despite early nerves of all that had gone on so far today Taylor appears to be a very nice dog, but I don't think he's had many cuddles by the way he reacted each time I tried to stroke him or cuddle him, so this I will be working on. Once fed he quickly settled to his new bed in the branch kennel, where he will live until he is re-homed or a foster home becomes available.
Later, after we arrived back from doing a home check he was fed and allowed to roam the run around the kennel to do his toilet. He tried digging a hole in the gravel at the back, and once satisfied he backed into it and did his toilet. Oh no, I thought please don't cover it up as it will be a nightmare to clear up. Thankfully he didn't and just walked up. His toilet collected and gravel scraped back level again all was well. Having done he went back in the kennel, and we put the light on for them to settle for the rest of the evening.
The camera in the kennel is superb as we can watch how they are from out laptops in the house.
Just before we went to bed we let them out again to do their toilet, put bedding coats on them and settled them down for the night.
11th October 2012
Taylor was fine during the night and greeted me with a bounce and a nose against the gate to go in the garden, which I didn't want at the moment. He did his toilet, but needed a litte coaxing to work out I had biscuits in my hand for him. Once the penny had dropped he enjoyed them. Leaving the bottom half ot the door ajar so he could wander in and out the kennel as he wanted we left him to settle again while we did the bed and breakfast guests their breakfast.
When all was tidied away I let Taylor out the kennel and he ran off and explored the garden and paddock. I left him and Alison to themselves while I went in the house and made their breakfast. Carrying it down to the kennel I wondered how I was going to get them back inside, but I need not have worried because sight of the feed bowls brought them both running. Taylor eats most of his food then wants to eat what Alison has so I feed him in the kennel with the bottom half of the door shut to see how he's getting on and I feed Alison outside under the shelter. When Taylor had eaten most of his he picked the feeding bowl up with his teeth, carried it to the corner at the back of his bed and ate the rest. When he'd finished I let him out to do his toilet to find he'd picked up Alison's food bowl in his teeth and was carrying it in the kennel to the back of one of the beds so as to lick out the bowl. I thought the first time he did it, it was quirky, now I'm wondering if he does this every time - we shall see! Food eaten they were left once again to the kennel and the area around it while I got on with the rest of my work.
During the day I kept nipping down to see them, receiving a wonderful welcome on each occasion. I kept their bedding coats on them all day today because the weather was lousy. Taylor, who we believe had been in his owners kennels despite him not having raced for two years is very chilled out by kennel life and settles very quickly to his bed once the door shut and the lights off. Tonight when I went in to say good night to them Taylor let me stroke his head and under his neck, I gave him a little kiss on his forehead and as I bent down to straighten the newspapers by the door (they make a very good door mat!) he leaned forward and gave me a little lick - Bless him!
17th October 2012
This morning Taylor went to the vet for his first inoculation and to be neutered. He weighed in at 31.7k. All went well with the operation and we collected him and Alison around tea time and brought them home. Put them in the kennel, which had been made cosy for them and we left them to sleep things off for an hour or so before giving them both something to eat, which they enjoyed. We left the bottom part of the kennel door ajar for them so they could go out and do their toilet and a little later we went back, checked they were alright and shut them up for the night. With the camera viewing onto the laptop we were able to keep an eye on them from the house.
7th November 2012
This afternoon while I was doing some paperwork we let Lowly and Taylor come in the kitchen with the end gate to the living room shut so as to leave the others in peace. He ran in and said hello to the greyhounds the other side of the gate, then ran round the kitchen to see what there was, tried jumping up at the work surfaces, but was squirted with cold water a few time until he got the message that, that wasn't a good idea. After a while he began to settle, stood by my side while I was sitting at the kitchen table so I could stroke him and even lay on the carpet for a short time. When it was feeding time I prepared their food and fed them in the house, he tried pinching some of Lowly's when I wasn't watching so was marched back to his own dish. Once finished I walked him to the back door, so he could do his toilet outside. As I then had an appointment to go to I shut them back in the kennel area so they could either go to their beds or walk around the outside of the kennel.
9th November 2012
This morning Taylor came from the kennels at the end of our garden and went to Pauline, her family and their greyhounds and whippets. Here he will be fostered until we can find him a forever home. The kennel seems empty now that Taylor is no longer here and I miss sitting on the edge of his bed reading my book and stroking him while he lay his head on my lap and enjoyed the attention.
13th November 2012
when Pauline arranged for Taylor to come to her to be fostered the other day I mentioned he has a little ritual at meal times, he eats 90% of his food then carry's his bowl to his bed and licks it clean. Apparently he didn't tonight, because he ate all his food then came running in the living room with Storms bowl, who by the wa,y was still eating from it. As you can imagine Storm was not amused !
25th November 2012
Taylor spent the day at Newton in Furness Village Hall today where the South Lakes branch of the Retired Greyhound Trust were holding their annual Christmas Fair. He was really good, met loads of people and other dogs, and really seemed to enjoy the day. Upon arriving home he and the other dogs crashed out for the night - it had been a long day!
4th December 2012
Pauline says Taylor is a real 'diamond'. For the past 4 nights he's decided her bed is better than his and he climbs on the bottom of the bed and snuggles up to her legs. If she gets up in the night for any reason and he moves over to her side she asks him to get off while she gets in then calls him back onto the bed. His 'party piece' is to bring her the post when the postman drops it through the door.
26th December 2012
This morning Taylor's new owners came to collect him. He was really excited to see them all again and we wish him and his new family a long and happy life together.

Click images for a larger view

The branch kennel
The branch kennel at the bottom
of our garden where Taylor and
Alison will live until they are
re-homed or move into a foster
home to await re-homing. They
have use of our garden and paddock
at regular intervals during the day.

Black Greyhound
4th November 2012

greyhound and whippet
Taylor and Storm the whippet
sharing a bed together
13th November 2012

black and brindle greyhounds
and this time with Jenny

black and brindle greyhounds
Dinner time
15th December 2012

black greyhound
Settling into his new home
26th December 2012

black greyhound
12th January 2013

black greyhound
and again.

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott